Saturday, December 16, 2023

December 16th -- Sisters' Day

 Every year for two hours my five sisters and my mother eek out just two hours together.  It's kind of the best day of the year -- we eat, give gifts and sit as closely as we can.  We talk babies, toddlers, middles, tweens, teens, missionaries, marrieds, and now grandbabies.  There is so much love for each other and for our role as nurturers.  

Natalie, Emily and I were up early for a temple session in our temple.  We stayed awake the entire time and then spent time learning together on a shared seat in the celestial room.  (Emily needed to rush home to feed her baby Wes.)

Then we commuted to Kimmie's house for breakfast at Kneaders.  (Kimmie was not feeling well, which is why she looks like she's trying hard to simply sit up, because she was.  Bless her for coming along and allowing us to come to her.)
These are mother's condiments.  Funny, her favorite foods are my favorite foods -- butter and cream.
We then exchanged gifts and sat as closely as we could. 
Back to mother's house for song practice led by Rick and attended by Natalie and Mark, and then a SURPRISE birthday party for moi!  All of my local siblings (Jim and Kimmie were not there) and Natalie sang to me and gave me gifts! I felt so loved.  We ate rice crispy treats and spent the evening together.  I wore my six hours, because I could.  

Perhaps what I was feeling was sheer connection.  Occasionally I have to convince my heart that I am connected to my family, even though I miss all the family gatherings, blessings, and parties.  It's hard living so far from my siblings and mother, because they just "get" me, and they still love me.  Their love for me today was exactly what my soul needed.  God bless them.

No comments: