It's a week of celebration and summer vacation!
My mother texted these pictures of my grandparents at the annual Cedar Hills parade in 2015(?). Aren't they happy? Aren't they partriotic? Grandpa was a decorated WWII veteran and purple heart recipient, and he lived with visible shrapnel in his calf post war. They are true American heroes, for sure: They were educators in the LA public school systems, wherein they set up programs for underprivileged students and families. They lived lives of integrity and service.
I crocheted this table runner for Molly's table. I thought the yarn would be more marbled, but my plans changed as the colors unfolded.
Our first tomato harvest. Those babies might be the last of the summer, since it's been 100*+ for at least 10 days now.....
Maddie was effecient and cleaned out her drawers to make room for the high school buckets of clothing that Meg and Maisie left. Molly made good use to the sock widows. HEHEHE.
Grandma B. is 75! Her birthday landed on a vacation day for Austin, so we went to lunch. We chatted easily about Grandpa's new weight lifting regime, and she told me all about her upcoming stake conference talk.
Then, we swam as a family for a long time. Our pool is so good to us.
Maybe I laid out for just an eensy minute.
Our basil has gone bananas.
Austin decided we should make pesto.
We did.
It's good -- like really, really good. Homemade bread, fresh pesto and garden tomatoes. Dinner was obvious.
Our day honoring the signing of the Declaration of Idependence began with red, white and blue creamed waffles.
By 9:30am we were floating down the Dirty Verde with no one else -- those saps went to the parades and melted. I sang my own version of the Pandora "Patriotic" station. You missed it -- you're very sad, I know. I belted and bellowed and created a place where my soul sounded in rapturous applause and appreciation. I sang songs of freedom and peace.
Then I suggested we go the to Rec Center for use of their diving board. The children's audience couldn't even handle their dives and dexterity off the board. Front doubles and 1.5, inward flips, Gainers, double twists, and beautiful swan dives charmed the other pool goers. One lady asked me, "Is that tall boy yours?" I pointed to Nick and the three others (Maddie, not Molly) and told her they were ALL mine.
The day concluded with an indoor braut BBQ with the grandparents, watching a war movie, and then loving fireworks from our balcony. The children did watch from the pergola roof.
The next morning Eddie, Ryan and Molly loved "Grandma's Day" and their 4th of July tape/can craft. They came home with bellies full of ice cream and confidence up to their ears.
My Friday-night buddies.
Oh! I wanted to use up my wonky extra skeins of yarn, so I'm making placemats. Then, I had to buy new plates to make the placemats visible. I really like them so far -- only seven to go......
On our way out the door to church, Eddie caught his finger in bike gears. OUCH!
He ripped the tip right off, but I just placed it back down and bandaged him right up. I did feed him (He'd been fasting since 2pm Saturday, so he went pale and looked like he would faint.) He changed his clothes and rested on the couch while I taught Molly's primary CTR 7 class.
Being with these two in primary was so rewarding. Ryan answered the questions about baptismal covenants with clarity and exactness. Molly knew how to define testimony and gave the closing prayer on a whim, wherein she prayed with perfect pronouns, appropriate context and she knew she was praying to the Almighty God. Oh! I was so pleased with their nurturing.
Makena is home -- and Nick is finally taller!
He's also taller than Grandpa! He is a very tall boy. His femurs reaching the pew in front of his, if ever his hips are not touching his seat. He's just so good.
Austin visited Andy in Utah all weekend. They went birthday shopping, to a REAL soccer game, met up with Armstrongs at the aquarium and ate loads of shell fish. They are good men.
Maisie is traveling to Rome today -- after her first week split in Amsterdam and London. She is loving the life of the European tourist: riding bikes, eating new foods, seeing beautiful churches and architecture, and revelling in relics. She's mostly smiling when she calls, and even when she's tired, she's lovely.
























No comments:
Post a Comment