Thursday, May 20, 2010

Gene

I've just finished reading the most wonderful books, Freckles and A Girl of the Limberlost, by Gene Stratton Porter. I simply devoured the novels because they are romances (and I don't waste my time with any other genre), and they were written by a male. Ms. Meyer has nothing on Mr. Porter, because I believe that when a male can write a love story, I mean really pour his heart and soul into the romatic interaction between characters, that is true lit. We know a woman can, because she is woman. And as a woman, I am a pure romantic.

So I googled him. He is a she. Ms. Gene Stratton Porter is a female, which clearly explains everything. It would be a lie to say that I wasn't disappointed when my google search came up with a woman's picture, but then, the only other "Gene" I know is the dead man I was going to marry as a teen, Gene Kelly.

My advice: read the books and cherish the characters and the setting, they are still literary treasures especially because they were written by a female. My next read, The Scarlet Pimpernell, was written by a woman, and I know she was a woman due to her suffix -- "ess."


And, to my few readers, please list clean and lovely romance novels that are written by males. I would gladly appreciate it, for summer begins in a week and I am ready to read.

3 comments:

The Perry family said...

Don't laugh. I used to be so embarrassed that I read these books, but I'm over that now. Nicholas Sparks writes some great romance novels. They make me cry. I'm not a fan of the movies, not even close to the books! I'm pretty sure he's a man.

Molly said...

A small warning, every single one of nicholas sparks books kills off one of the main characters... its his thing, they almost always end in tragedy. I have one and only one book i can list off the top of my head, and it's only casually a romance but it is uplifting and very funny, but it takes a bit of patience to get to the serious stuff. The River Why by David James Duncan is actually one of my top 3 all time books. Also they are making a move which can't possibly be as good as the book so read it now. It also has this amazing sibling relationship i know youwould dig.

Natalie said...

You go, girl! Have you read "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm"? Not written by a man, but a delicious, fast, summery read.