Sunday, October 15, 2023

Fall Break 2023

 We spent one glorious week at HOME! Our staycation was exactly right to get our projects and our time realigned.  Here are some of the very best bits:

Austin and our gloriuos youth went to the temple.  They were able to perform baptisms for the dead.  "It's always so nice to be in the temple," Nick concluded.  He's very right.
Meanwhile, I took my little friends to run errands all around town.  We were preparing for Meg's baby shower.
Wednesday evening Melijah and Maisie came to town!  So many tears of joy and love.  Andy called right when they arrived, so it almost felt like we were all together again.  Soon.  It's going to happen soon.
Austin spent the first half of each day working in the yard.  He trimmed trees, planted the winter garden, repared the roof, removed reno debris, and practially burned down the house.  When he came in from this morning conflagration, his face was literally burned.  "It got hot.  Really, really hot.  Fast."
All throughout the week we played several rounds of our new game, "Wingspan."  There was never a repeat winner, but always repeat players.  I just play for the little eggs.
Spoiler: We spent the afternoon preparing our Bob Ross Halloween canvasses.  Eek.  This year is hopefully so good.  The finished results made us laugh until tears flowed freely.  
Friday we spent much of the morning preparing for our weekend of entertaining.  This little coed picked up right where she left off.  She's kind and helpful and sings the day away.  We've missed her.
This little freshy didn't miss a beat.
This very nice SIL wrangled the noobs and cleaned the windows better than ever before.
Maisie and Nick resurrected the pink DS gaming systems.  I heard them cackling and screaming late into the evening.  We also played flag football. Austin was the all-time QB.  Elijah was the easy touchdown.  Meg galloped instead of ran, well it was more of a side step.  Maisie, "I told myself I would be goated at football, and now I am."  Nick made up all the team's plays.  Maddie, "Elijah stayed tight on me," she didn't score one point, which is rare.  Eddie caught the sneaky passes.  Ryan caught the Hail Mary's.  Molly ran her plays and was only met by older brothers who showed no mercy.  Good times.
Friday night we hosted the MUHS swim team carbo load.  Austin made over-the-top pastas, and I made sweet rolls.  When the swimmers came into the kitchen to get seconds and thirds, we whooped and cheered them on.
Saturday morning we prepared for Meg's baby shower.
It was glorious.
That baby girl I built is building two baby girls.  The venue was grand, the shower guests were even more fabulous, and the honoree was generous with her words and gracious in her gratitude.  How blessed we are to love and be loved.  (Life is still all about the first two great commandments.  And when we live His laws, love is certainly a fruit of that growth in living.)
Simultaneously, Austin was with Maddie and Nick at a qualifier in Phoenix.  They both swam well.
Early Sunday Melijah and Maisie made their commute home.  It is always so sad to see them go, but there is nothing here for them anymore.  Those three keep my home ringing with laughter and singing.  They leave clean kitchen spaces.  They ask the younger siblings beautiful questions.  The big girls make perfect dollhouse partners.  The SIL is the perfect biggest boy to our four boys.  


We all trapsed back to bed, and my eyes finally popped open at 9:17am.  YAY!  I found this girl making Christmas presents -- her toothy grin is too cute. 

Quotes from Elder Babcock's call this week:
Me: "Your sweater is handsome."
Andy: "Thanks, I took it from another apartment."
"Over 700 days gone."
"We're baptizing on the 22nd and two times on the 29th."
"We have zone conference this week.  I'll be teaching about obedience.
"Our AP trio is Elder Phillips (from Phoenix), Elder Bond (from Mesa) and me."
"We went roller skating today."
"Nashville water is 'sus'."

No comments: