Sunday, August 3, 2025

A Plea for Rain

Sunday the week began with a combined fast for rain, for a successful school year and for our missionaries.  Austin gave us each a father's blessing, which helped us remember who we are and to whom we belong.  Those priesthood blessings are always powerful.

Monday came, and school is in full session.   I guess that 6:45am morning comes around pretty early.  We took mid-morning naps everyday this week.  The first day was laughable -- everything was completed, but I doubt we learned anything.

We also spent the afternoons painting.  I'm a bit smug that I've seen several works of Van Gogh in person.  (Paint-by-number kits are a vibe.)
One morning the children did not want oatmeal for breakfast -- so I repurposed it for lunch. HA!
 
Austin spent several evening installing our new weight-rack system.  Yipes.  We'll see how it goes.  I like it because it folds into the wall, leaving almost the same amount of space.
Molly created her own board game -- "Mallopoly."  It's patterned after Monopoly, with only a few variations.  She explained the set of rules, and caught Ed in her snare.  
Carnations.  We laid red carnations across my father's casket.  His mother's favorite flower was a pink carnation -- I just might add a few pink ones to the mix.
Saturday I make a list of projects and completed them.  I was glad they stopped to play.  
We all swam for a couple hours.  Our dry heat continues on.  We need rain so badly.  Luckily, the pool water is 90* and the air temps are above 100*, so there is nerry a chill.
Another stake dance in the books.  The Sedona building has grass, views and little less heat.  Another lovely evening with the youth.



Nick's update:

  • "How to I fold my white shirt?"
  • He traveled 28 hours to Brazil, sleeping 24 of those hours.
  • He feels better having slept off the illness.  
  • He was able to minister to several elders.
  • "I feel the spirit so strong in the MTC."




Maisie's update:
  • Transferred to Vermont
  • New companion -- they are so happy together
  • I watched her use her scissors and cut up bits of pictures and letters to create her new study space
  • "I need new white shirts."
  • "We found a new family to teach."


8-4-25 journal notes
Meg: headed to bed early -- she didn't nap today
Austin: spent the evening working on the rack installation
Andy: 3% body fat screening = 92 lbs. of skeletal muscle

Maddie: came home red faces and exhausted from flag practice
Eddie: made the neighbor girl cry -- she bested her at her own game of trolling
Ryan: made sly comments during our FHE lesson on manners, dead weight legs during CFM
Molly: no more elastic in her swim suit makes it gape -- needed a little math refresher
Me: more shuffling, crochet, trail mix, laundry, and Elijah's birthday letter

No comments: