Our 83* weather was waaaaay tooooooo cold for a swim party, so I suggested a few friends meet with a picnic lunch and play games to celebrate Labor Day. It was a success! Nick was the best catcher. Maddie was the best runner. Eddie was the best flag puller. Ryan was the best quarterback rusher. Molly was the most patient. Austin was the best quarterback. We spent time together, outside and with friends. Bonus: We didn't have to spend the morning cleaning our yard to make it happen.
This week was Maisie's birthday. I no longer have a computer that fits the external storage device cord, so I found some old pictures and took pictures of pictures of her birth. Labor day in 2005 was literally spent in labor. I finally went to the hospital at 8pm dilated to an 8. She was born just after midnight, and the nurses bugged us all night long. The next day we were together as a big family of 5. 6lbs. and 3 oz. made her quite a chunky baby.We called to sing to her in her dorm. She spent the morning training for her janitorial job. She drove to Highland to pick up her birthday packages and her roommates made her dinner (but left her the dishes).
Maisie radiates as a girl of 18 making big dreams happen. She organizes all sorts of game nights and poker clubs. She teared up a little bit when she couldn't come home just to be with her family. We miss her.
These little scholars waited until after lunch to do their math. Eddie loves calling out the answers -- Molly hates it, because she likes her math work.I found myself taking a picture of Entenmanns while grocery shopping (I mostly just follow Austin around as he fills the cart and checks prices), because Grandma Guymon always fed us danishes and boxed goods from her little outlet store in Calabasses. I texted the picture to my sibbies, and they have the fondness for Grandma's goodies.
My "love" wall is coming along nicely. It's behind the door in my toilet room, so no one sees it. I think it's rather sweet.
Saturday Maddie and Nick were at a swim meet in Phoenix with 114* temps. We stayed home to float the river (William spent the weekend with us).
Eddie trying out the rope swing.
Molly taking her turn.
The primary talent show was also Saturday. Molly and Eddie were uber prepared; Ryan chose a really hard song, so we took out two pages just moments before. They were very brave. I also volunteered to help the activity day boys. Enjoy.Eddie's "Super Mario Bros."
Sunday Nick fell asleep on the thirty minute drive home from Camp Verde -- he's always so tired.
Sunday night these three made a fort. The best type of play always starts with a bit of chaos.Wednesdays -- "P Days"-- are my favorite time of the week. All three biggest children get on the same facetime call, and I get to watch their interaction.
It's always clear when Meg joins, because her unmistakable giggle is her greeting. Her peace and joy are contagious. Andy commented to Meg, "What the? You have two humans inside of you? You're a fatty."
Maisie usually announces something about herself -- "Andy! I'm legal! It was my birthday this week!" He responded, "Happy birthday! I totally forgot. 18! You're old."
Those two adoring and neighboring sisters then ask him all the best questions. Here is his report:
"It was zone conference week. I trained 150 elders in one meeting." Meg then asked, "How do you know how to do that?" He answered, "I prepare and am guided by the spirit. Then, I can do my training without notes."
Meg then asked, "What are you doing right now?" He was busy moving around his room, crossing in and out of the camera's view, "I'm packing to go to another zone conference."
I suppose the strangest thing about Elder Babcock is that his transformation is striking, even though we talk to him and see him every week. The questions Meg asks about his "adulting so well" are the bahavioral answers to my pleadings. He's a grown man who loves to learn, loves to serve, loves his family, and loves his God and Savior. He is proactive and not reactive, and he has the end in mind. He's a boss.











No comments:
Post a Comment