Saturday, April 11, 2020

Eddie's Baptism Day


 Due to Covid-19, only our family, Grandma and Grandpa B., our bishop and the primary president were present with us in the room (we are already a group of 10 without anyone else). However, we received permission to invite family members and add them to the ZOOM broadcast.  Emily, still on her mission, also invited an investigator to share in this ordinance of salvation.
 I'm grateful for Austin -- the father of our home -- who provides, protects and presides.
 I'm grateful that we are influenced for good everyday by these two.  They love us -- all our parts -- our good and bad parts, our messy and clean parts, our loud and reverent parts.
 I hope my tiny boy grows up to be as tall  as me.  His hands are the teeniest, tiniest, bitsy hands.  I need to trace them.
 I’ve spent the last few months teaching Eddie in quiet moments about baptism.  We read 2 Nephi 31 yesterday, and he sat still in body and mind, as we allowed the truth to penetrate our hearts. I followed specific promptings to make sure Eddie was ready to “Hear Him.” We both learned more.
 I printed programs for him.  Although it was just our family and the bishop, I didn't want to lose the character of his 8 year old handwriting.
Maddie led the music, she’s been practicing for our Sunday meetings at home.  I played my piano, and I felt confident, because I practice a bit almost everyday. Maisie gave a sweet opening prayer, thanking Heavenly Father for ZOOM broadcasting.  Then Maddie, Eddie Ryan and Molly sang, “My Baptism Day” by Janice Kapp Perry. Their sweet voices I hope to never forget. Grandma B. bore a powerful witness of the covenants Eddie would make upon baptism, and she also testified about how much Heavenly Father loves us because He promised the way back to Him is through the atonement of Jesus Christ -- repentance.  Andy and Nick stood as worthy priesthood witnesses, flanking Austin during the sacred ordinance. Meg testified that the Holy Ghost can comfort, direct, warn, guide and teach us. She gave specific examples and shared from her heart. Grandpa B. gave a lovely closing prayer including the teachings of the gospel and the power of repentance and resurrection.

No comments: