Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day, to Me!

Quite the arrogant title, but that's what I am.  I am a mother.  This is what seven looks like.  Not gonna lie, I had to try to have a good day, i.e. I still had to be patient when: Ed wet his pants twice, when Meg needed two hours of homework help during the critical hours of the evening, when Eddie jumped off the couch during scriptures, when Maisie twirled her Sunday dress on her fingers and started biting it, when Maddie was offended that I forgot to unbuckle her before I got out of the car, when Nick and Andy threw punches and loud words, when I was the solo dish washer, when I awakened first from the afternoon nap, when I spent two hours getting seven little children ready for chruch and only spent seven minutes on me.

But mostly what I've been reflecting on is that I have yet to learn how to be patient with myself: when I slam cupboard doors because I am the only one working in the kitchen, when I cry because my hair makes me look like a sister wife, when my skirt bunches funny because I still need to lose a good six pounds, and when I felt angry that I live alone, far from my mother and sisters.  So patience with myself means using the Atonement of Jesus Christ to forgive myself, move forward and do it all again tomorrow.  Because really, if my family really wants me to have a "Mother's Day" they'd pack my bags and send me on a cruise.  Alone.  But then, no one on the boat would know that I am a mother, and that is what defines me most.

Mother's Lounge at church today.
 Neglecting Ed while I was sitting/pouting in my closet eating a bag of candy.
The homework hounds.
 The chruch movie junkies.
 The green gringos.
Adoring angels.
Smiling siblings.

2 comments:

Maurine said...

I love this, oh Mother's Day!
I feel guilty that I got mad at my family for eating all my Mother's Day chocolate strawberries, and that I spent half of Mother's day being frustrated with my husband and my kids for various reasons. But it's how it goes sometimes...most times.
My friend from high school had her husband just died. She is our age, and has 3 small children. She posted on her insta feed a trick she learned from her Mother-in-law many years ago. To have a wonderful Mother's day she always switches it to, "I am lucky I get to be your Mother day". She puts up a huge banner that says "I Love Being Your Mom" and has presents for her children. She says it helps her be joyful and switch up her expectations. I think I might try it next year.

Natalie said...

This is your most profound, and my favorite, of all your posts. I love this glimpse into your heart; it makes me look inside mine. My perspective is raised, and the eternities seem more clear. Thanks for being a mother to me, a nurturer of my soul in so many, profound ways.

I love you. Happy Mother's Day!